Amazing landscapes, wide open spaces, preserved environment, mythical mountain passes … in the south of the Hautes-Pyrénées department, nature rule unchallenged. 15 km south of Lourdes, 4 km from Argelès-Gazost, Beaucens enjoys a central location at the crossroads of several valleys. Whether on foot or by bike, by motorcycle or by car, you will be ideally situated for exploring the major sites.
In summer …
A great variety of mountain trails or gentle walks in the surroundings will delight hikers of any level:
- Cirque of Gavarnie,
- Pont d’Espagne waterfalls,
- Pic du Midi of Bigorre,
- Lake of Gaube,
- Brèche de Roland,
- Cirques deTroumouse and Estaubé,
- Valleys of Marcadau and Lutour,
Several legendary passes of the Tour de France are within a radius of 25km around the house,
- The Tourmalet,
- The Soulor and the Aubisque,
A locked shelter for bikes is available at the house.
- Pyrenees Animal Park Pyrenees,
- Donjon des Aigles Birds of Prey Collection and Show,
- Chloro’fil – Forest Park
- Rafting, canyoning,
- Paragliding, climbing,
- Pools, Water Park.
And in winter …
Enjoy mountain scenery in winter with snowshoes, or sweep the snowy slopes in several nearby ski resorts:
- Domaine du Tourmalet (Bareges-La Mongie),
- Hautacam, small family resort in a beautiful setting.
For cross-country skiing, two areas will delight amateurs:
- The Val d’Azun – Couraduque and Soulor (110 km of slopes),
- The Pont d’Espagne (36 km of slopes).
All the year round …
- Thermal centers (Argelès-Gazost, Luz-St Sauveur, Cauterets …) After strolling or skiing, relax in a whirlpool bath, sauna or hammam to regain energy and well-being.(bring your bathing suit).
- 15 minutes from the house, Lourdes and its worldwide famous sanctuaries.
- At 50 minutes, Pau, its old town and Henri IV royal castle. The vineyards of Jurançon are a stone’s throw away.
- The Caves of Betharram and Médous,
- The village and the abbey church of Saint Savin, the fortified church of Luz-Saint-Sauveur.
In the markets you will find the local produce that you can also taste in the some very good restaurants and inns in the valley,
- Garbure, traditional hearty soup,
- Barèges mutton (AOC) and local lamb , traditionally bred,
- Bigorre Black Pork delicatessen,
- Sheep’s cheese,
- Foie-gras, confits,
- Tarbais white beans,
- The traditional Cake cooked on a spit …
In the north of the department, the vineyards of Madiran, Pacherenc de Vic Bilh or Tariquet, complete with character the gastronomic offer.